Wednesday, August 8, 2012

DIY Powdered Laundry Soap

My how to on this easy Powdered Laundry Soap. It literally took me 15 minutes to make and that was just a small batch for 30 loads!

 My set up!
1 cup each of the borax and arm and hammer.

Grate one bar of Ivory Soap.

Put in a big container and shake really good to mix it up and it will help break down the soap more as well.

I am going to look for a cheap food processor but for now this works.  When I find a processor I will pulse it in there but if you use one it will need to only be used for soap not food.
I bought a grater from the dollar store along with the measuring cup and a big container to shake my soap up as well as a container to store it in after Ive shaken it up really good. I also took the scoop from Miss Alivia's formula refill packs, they give you a new scoop each time. The scoop is roughly 2 tablespoons which is perfect.
That's the scoop and how it looks after shaken.
Much better view.

It calls for 1 TBSP for regular loads and 2 TBSP for more soiled loads.
How it looks on my shelf, I stuck the bar of soap and grater inside my shaking container.

Below I added the Soap before my clothes its hard to see but its in there.

I always use cold water and the soap still dissolves and doesn't build or gunk up in my machine.

I also added it after I put my clothes and still fine.

My girls have sensitive skin and there tolerating it like I never changed soaps.
The prices are all VIA goggle, I forgot to save my receipt. Next time I shop I will right them down.

The cost for the Super Washing Soda by Arm & Hammer   $3.24
For 55 oz    get roughly 6 cups to one box

The cost for the 20 Mule Team Borax    $3.38
For 76 oz    get roughly 9 cups to one box

The cost for 3 bars Ivory soap     $1.24
1 bar per batch

So I can make 6 batches for under 10 dollars.  I will need 3 more Ivory.

There really isn't a smell, you can add essential oils or the Purex crystals if you want.

I am going to buy the Purex crystals because I like to have my sheets and towels smell, I don't really care about my clothes as long as there clean ( which they are with this soap ) and that they don't smell musty or ucky ( and they don't with this soap ).

Purex Crystal price $8.96, I have a coupon to help and it would last a long time since I would only use it for sheets and towels.

I also have some coupons for the Ivory soap and I will use them next time I buy the Ivory.

No comments:

Post a Comment